hwesta: A hairy woodpecker looking cute against green bokeh (Default)
[personal profile] hwesta

When I encounter a word I don’t know in Japanese, one of my techniques is to use google.jp to image search for it. The goal is to keep from translating the word into English and to get a sense of what it mean in Japanese instead.

The other day I came across 邪魔じゃま and googled it.

Screenshot of a google image search. Most results are cats sitting on keyboards or mice, one is of a board game named "Saboteur"

Thought process: Hmm, what does this mean? Something about cats sitting on keyboards? That doesn’t seem right from the source context. What’s that in the bottom right? I recognize that board game, it’s Saboteur!

So 邪魔じゃま might mean sabotage or obstruct or hinder, but it’s apparently quintessentially cat-on-keyboard!

Profile

hwesta: A hairy woodpecker looking cute against green bokeh (Default)
Holly B

December 2023

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 10th, 2026 09:32 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios