Life has been a little nuts lately.
Gramma (dad's mom), who 18 months ago was riding elephants in Africa and a month ago was in Portland visiting family, was diagnosed with cancer about two weeks ago. (She had cancer about 3 years ago, but it was treated and she went back to normal.) I found out about this a week Friday ago, which was the first day of VCon and the day she had a stroke. Lasting damage of the stroke appears to be mostly impaired vision and poor memory, though at 87 her memory was already not great and they have her on end-of-life level painkillers so I'm not sure how much that's affecting it. Remaining lifespan estimates are highly varied, but probably don't include Christmas.
Gramma is my last surviving grandparent, and easily the one I knew best. Mamaw (mom's mom) died before I was born. Papaw (mom's dad) died when I was in high school and he lived in Louisiana so I only saw him once a year. Grandad (dad's dad) was not very family-oriented or social with grandkids, and I was sheltered from his Alzheimer's because I was busy with school.
There's also been a pile of frustrating and unnecessary family drama about Gramma's care that I don't feel like rehashing, culminating in the 24-hour nurse service withdrawing service and leaving the problematic family member to organize and provide all the care. I am Not Pleased, and other immediate family members are furious.
I'm also frustrated because just prior to this all happening I had been feeling much less depressed. I left work for lunch happy, I could have discussions about work and future without dissolving into anger or tears. Dale commented on the improvement. I can't tell if it's still here under the mishmash of grief and uncertainty about my feelings in the last week.
On the upside, we had a lovely family dinner for Thanksgiving with Gramma at her place. Even my cousins came, Gramma ate more than she had any other time that week, and seemed to thoroughly enjoy our company. I'm glad we got one last major family holiday in with Gramma. I also introduced Lanterns to my family, and it went over well, so there's some hope for variety from the Ticket to Ride monopoly.
Gramma (dad's mom), who 18 months ago was riding elephants in Africa and a month ago was in Portland visiting family, was diagnosed with cancer about two weeks ago. (She had cancer about 3 years ago, but it was treated and she went back to normal.) I found out about this a week Friday ago, which was the first day of VCon and the day she had a stroke. Lasting damage of the stroke appears to be mostly impaired vision and poor memory, though at 87 her memory was already not great and they have her on end-of-life level painkillers so I'm not sure how much that's affecting it. Remaining lifespan estimates are highly varied, but probably don't include Christmas.
Gramma is my last surviving grandparent, and easily the one I knew best. Mamaw (mom's mom) died before I was born. Papaw (mom's dad) died when I was in high school and he lived in Louisiana so I only saw him once a year. Grandad (dad's dad) was not very family-oriented or social with grandkids, and I was sheltered from his Alzheimer's because I was busy with school.
There's also been a pile of frustrating and unnecessary family drama about Gramma's care that I don't feel like rehashing, culminating in the 24-hour nurse service withdrawing service and leaving the problematic family member to organize and provide all the care. I am Not Pleased, and other immediate family members are furious.
I'm also frustrated because just prior to this all happening I had been feeling much less depressed. I left work for lunch happy, I could have discussions about work and future without dissolving into anger or tears. Dale commented on the improvement. I can't tell if it's still here under the mishmash of grief and uncertainty about my feelings in the last week.
On the upside, we had a lovely family dinner for Thanksgiving with Gramma at her place. Even my cousins came, Gramma ate more than she had any other time that week, and seemed to thoroughly enjoy our company. I'm glad we got one last major family holiday in with Gramma. I also introduced Lanterns to my family, and it went over well, so there's some hope for variety from the Ticket to Ride monopoly.